Ard Core Gamerz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forum for Savannah, GA and surrounding area gamers

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Idea for a league campaign

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
jdbleam

Idea for a league campaign Empty
PostSubject: Idea for a league campaign   Idea for a league campaign EmptyTue May 10, 2011 10:16 pm

I would normally post this in some type of General discussion, but here we go. I have been thinking of starting a campaign for the summer. This is just putting some thoughts down in writing. I'm thinking of a three way fight. Teams A,B,C using a map similar to planetary empires using a hex grid map. Then place plains, forest, mountains, citys, and space port. Each team would have two citys and one space port. Battles in the plains would use the spearhead rules. Battles in the forests and mountains would use standard missions. Battles in the city/space port would use citys of death rules. Teams would expand their territory by attacking hexes adjacent their controlled hexes. Space ports would allow a team to attack any hex using the planet strike rules.

Game sizes: 1k to 2k with spear head using an extra 500 pts. For some variation, I would like to build a 6x8 table for BIG40K. This would be an apocalypse game 5k maximum per side, no super heavies/gargantuan. Just have to have a HQ and 2 troops. everything else would be allowed. This would let everyone play all the models they would like to field, but don't because points/effective list reasons. I love lictors, but would never field them in a tourney.

The way this would work

Just play the normal pick up games you would normally do. you and your opponent would roll of to see who was the agressor. The agressor picks the hex he would like to attack. agree on points and play normally. Just record your score in the book. Attacker wins big, their team gets the hex. draws or loss for the attacker would be no change. There is no timeline for the campaign other than when one team takes all the citys of the other teams. I would even be willing to leave my copies of spearhead/citys of death/and planet stike with jeff for everyone to use. Hopefully this would get everyone interested in playing some of the expansions.

Maybe someone with some literary skill could turn this into a story.

What do you think?
Back to top Go down
Event Grot

Event Grot

PostSubject: Re: Idea for a league campaign   Idea for a league campaign EmptyWed May 11, 2011 9:53 pm

love the idea!

think we need to do this with a small core group first no more than 5-6 people to get it all hammered out.

just run a for a few weeks to see how games work then turn it over onto the masses.

Count me in if you run... and i will help spread the word!

later
A
Back to top Go down
Doc_Holiday45

Doc_Holiday45

PostSubject: Re: Idea for a league campaign   Idea for a league campaign EmptyFri May 13, 2011 10:18 pm

Instead of having everyone try to capture all the other cities you could play it like Risk. Make a bunch of mission cards ( wipe out player..., capture so many cities/tiles, etc) that way every player wouldn't have the same objective and it'd add some guesswork to the campaign. Just a thought.

Jacob
Back to top Go down
jdbleam

PostSubject: Re: Idea for a league campaign   Idea for a league campaign EmptySat May 14, 2011 12:18 am

Everyone would not have the same mission. You can attack any hex that is adjacent to your teams territories. Yes the mission is to take hexes, but there would be many different types of games to play (spearhead, cities of death, and planet strike). The cities should be 4-5 tiles and tough to take. You can also use the spaceport to attack deep in an enemies territory. This could start a beachhead to threaten the other teams cities or spaceport. I do like the idea of event cards or special missions to obtain cool resources. I still havn't figured out how to use battlemissions, since they heavily lean to one side. I don't want to get too complicated with resource management, and points earning. This is not an original idea. I have read about similar campaigns on other websites. Everyone loved them, except when they made them too complicated by imposing earning points from hexes to make up your army. I'm not really looking for team commanders. I think everyone should look at their teams territory and decide best how to help. This is not unlike multiple SM Chapters operating in the same theatre. Sometimes they coordinate, sometimes they follow their own strategy and agenda.
Back to top Go down
Warmahordie

Warmahordie

PostSubject: Re: Idea for a league campaign   Idea for a league campaign EmptyWed May 25, 2011 6:23 pm

Awesome! I'd be interested.
Back to top Go down
Boc

Boc

PostSubject: Re: Idea for a league campaign   Idea for a league campaign EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 10:35 pm

I'd certainly be interested. I also dabble in fanfiction, so if you need someone to build up a backstory I can probably hash something presentable out Surprised
Back to top Go down
jdbleam

PostSubject: Re: Idea for a league campaign   Idea for a league campaign EmptyTue Jun 14, 2011 10:24 pm

That would be great. I'm still stuck out of town, and my time is limited. I'm thinking of a story line of a relatively new hive world. 2 hives, 1 space port, and maybe 1 forge town. This of course would have a guard PDF. Maybe a something, something old techie thingy has attracted the attention of eldar/ork/DE/ etc all races except man. telepathic antenae sensor thingy that the PDF have has detected vast disturbances in the warp. Local system ships sent to investigate and they are swatted like flies, with a single transmission "oh no, its the _______, call ghost busters......or the nearest space marines". OK....ive been out all day in the heat and im being slightly sarcastic/silly. You get the picture. ( I know you can spin a better tale than my generic one) Your story could also give a history of the first year of fighting (space battles and such). The league would start after each faction had consolidated a foothold on the planet, and the imperium realize that this is much more than a prolonged raid.

All kidding aside, I could really use some help to get me motivated. It is going to be a free for all since most players have multiple armies. The fluff should turn out to be as titanic in proportions as the battle for Armaggedon. This may be ambitious, but I was thinking of writing a story each week of what is happening. We may even have each player name his "hero" before starting. They would only die in the final apocalypse game (if they do). during the league they would be wounded and dragged from the field of battle by their men etc.

This could be alot of fun. I want the epic nature of the struggle to be more important than if a player foot stomps another. Having a really good fluff intro would encourage this.

Jeff
Back to top Go down
Boc

Boc

PostSubject: Re: Idea for a league campaign   Idea for a league campaign EmptyWed Jun 15, 2011 1:47 pm

Okay then, I'll start up a rough draft this weekend, hopefully have something posted before then.

As far as factions that need to get covered (as in people around here actually play them):

Space Marines (all codexes)
Chaos Space Marines
Imperial Guard
Ork
Tyrannid
Dark Eldar
Chaos Daemons

I don't think I've seen any Eldar, Tau, Necron, Grey Knights, or Witchhunters players (admittedly I haven't seen everyone) so I'll put them on last priority in terms of finding a way to fit them into the overarching setting.
Back to top Go down
jdbleam

PostSubject: Re: Idea for a league campaign   Idea for a league campaign EmptyWed Jun 15, 2011 10:32 pm

Great! I think John has eldar. With the popularity of marines/IG it could be safe to say they are on one side(plus eldar for their own reasons, and tau helping the IG) agianst all the rest. Until we get people signed up, we won't have a good count. I'm going to play my DE/tyranids. I have IG/Marines as well. I may bring them for any new players to play.

What do you think about opening up the rules a little bit for fun. How about letting marines of any flavor (including chaos) use Storm ravens (minus decent of angel rule unless you play BA) in the heavy slot. We could balance that out by letting Ork players use looted vehicles from the IG/Marines book - minus Land raiders and artillery. This may create some imbalance issues. I'll have to think about this.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Idea for a league campaign   Idea for a league campaign Empty

Back to top Go down

Idea for a league campaign
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Ard Core Gamerz :: Warhammer 40K :: News and Events-
Jump to: